Wednesday 4 January 2012

First Look : Photography - Featured : Sam White

Here at Loud Mouth, we don't just welcome writers, but also photographers. We're building up our portfolio of photographers, one of whom is Sam White.  Here's what he has to say about his photography:

"I have been influenced by artists, such as Lucian Freud and Jenny Saville that focus their own work on the physical image and exterior of the body, distorting the images they paint accordingly to fit in with their interpretation of the human body and the simple formations that make us human. I used this idea to draw upon the images of the interior of the mind as well as the portrayal of the exterior, contrasting and merging both to create images identifying inner feelings and workings of the brain, and how simple emotions cause startling changes in body and impulsive changes to physical appearance. 


I wanted to create work that would not merely influence to audience to respond with: "Oh, that's nice." or "What a pretty photo." I don't want my work to simply induce melancholy... I want it to cause woe, to allow the audience to feel the actual mental pain created by the photograph and for them to think about it long after they have left the gallery, or webpage where my work is housed. I used these simple emotions to create graphic photos that I intended to distress and dissolve the watcher's safety; to make them feel uneasy when viewing the work... to disturb their mind."

Sam is just one of the photographers featured on Loud Mouth - be sure to keep up to date with all things Loud Mouth  so you'll be the first to see what our photographers have to offer when we launch the website

'Til then

Becky Millar
Senior Editor for Photography and Design 

No comments:

Post a Comment